Are Both Captain America And Iron Man Right All Along?
Without giving away any juicy plot twits and turns, the movie title “Captain America: Civil War” itself indicates that when two leading Avengers super heroes have irreconcilable differences, the rest of the group is forced to take sides.
Even if you’re not a super hero aficionado, there are some takeaways from the movie that we can all use to reflect upon our own lives.
After all, with 50% of marriages ending in divorce and its related collateral damage, chances are that you’ve been affected by your own personal version of a “Civil War” – whether it be your own, that of your parents, siblings, close friends, business partner, etc.
Facing the breakup of a relationship or business partnership? Here are some things to consider:
- If you find yourself at odds with someone you have loved and trusted for years, could there be an outside negative influence that is intentionally driving you apart, and why?
- Has the secret you’ve been keeping to “save” your relationship become what is tearing it apart?
- Are you allowing emotional triggers from the past to cloud your present day judgement?
- Do you really have all the facts, or are you jumping to conclusions?
- When bombarded with conflicting “advice” are you weighing it against the reliability of all your sources?
- Have you lost the ability to be vulnerable, to admit your own mistakes, and to feel your love for the other party?
- How can you gracefully minimize the ripple-effect on friends and loved ones, while allowing each to have their own voice and a healthy means to process what is happening?
- What is your super-power, and how can you magnify it to handle the situation with dignity and respect?
If you do see “Captain America: Civil War” keep yourself open to experiencing some “Aha” moments – it will make the movie more personal, and enjoyable!
by Fantastic Frank Johnson
Author of “From Flawed to Fantastic”